The need-to-know information for HydrocortisoneHydrocortisone
Pearls and Fun Nuggets
1. Hydrocortisone and cortisol are the same thing ✌ Hydrocortisone is the pharmaceutical term for cortisol that’s used in oral administration, intravenous injection, or topical application.
2. Topical hydrocortisone creams are very popular 🌍 They are available in most countries without prescription in strengths ranging from 0.05% to 2.5% (depending on local regulations) with stronger forms available by prescription only
3. Hydrocortisone is one of the weaker steroids 😒 Compared to hydrocortisone, prednisolone is about four times as strong and dexamethasone about forty times as strong in their anti-inflammatory effect. Prednisolone can also be used as cortisol replacement, and at replacement dose levels (rather than anti-inflammatory levels), prednisolone is about eight times more potent than cortisol.
4. It is the treatment of choice for adrenocortical insufficiency 👍 
“Started experiencing fatigue a few years ago and passed out suddenly. Rushed to hospital with normal cardiac workup and blood tests. After seeing a long list of doctors one finally came to the realization I had adrenal insufficiency. Prescribed 10mg hydrocortisone daily and feel much better.”
“Worked wonders for my poison ivy rash. Quick relief and healing when all others failed”
“We have a lot of mosquitoes in our area. They are very attracted to me and I develop quarter sized bumps shortly after being bitten. I have found that if I apply Hydrocortisone 1% cream to a mosquito bite as soon as possible the swelling and itching will be relieved within minutes. It is important to apply the cream prior to scratching the bite. I highly recommend using this cream; it makes my life here tolerable.”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020