The need-to-know information for DextromethorphanDextromethorphan
Pearls and Fun Nuggets
1. Medication for the Joker?😬 In 2010, the FDA approved the combination drug dextromethorphan/quinidine for the treatment of pseudobulbar affect (uncontrollable laughing/crying).
2. If you take too much, you’ll see things 👀 At doses much higher than medically recommended, DXM and its major metabolite, dextrorphan, acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist, which produces dissociative hallucinogenic states somewhat similar to ketamine and phencyclidine.
3. Be careful when taking it with grapefruit 🍇Caution should be exercised when taking dextromethorphan when drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruits, as compounds in grapefruit affect a number of drugs, including dextromethorphan, through the inhibition of the cytochrome p450 system in the liver, and can lead to excessive accumulation and prolonged effects.
4. It’s related to Morphine 💉 It is in the morphinan class of medications with sedative, dissociative, and stimulant properties (at lower doses). In its pure form, dextromethorphan occurs as a white powder.
“Delsym (dextromethorphan) has been remarkable for controlling a cough that has persisted since I got over bronchitis about a month ago. No side effects at all. I’m also making sure I’m staying hydrated and have stopped taking menthol cough drops (Ricola) since I read that menthol can make a cough worse. This has really helped.”
“I had a bad cough for about 3 weeks due to bronchitis. Delsym eased my cough a little and also made me so tired I fell asleep in spite of the throat irritation. My main complaint is that even though I took one recommended dose only at bedtime, I was half asleep all the next day. “
“I took Delsym for my allergies. It worked really good the first two days. But on the third day it made me feel like I was drunk or high, not really dizzy. I was disoriented and couldn’t focus and my mind was all over the place. I thought that maybe I had just not eaten enough that day or something, but after seeing the reviews I guess other people experienced this too.”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020