The need-to-know information about ClotrimazoleClotrimazole
Pearls and fun facts
1. Clotrimazole can come in throat lozenges 🍭Throat lozenge preparations are used for oropharyngeal candidiasis (oral thrush) or prevention of oral thrush in people with neutropenia.
2. The cream is sometimes mixed with steroids 🍶 It may be compounded with a glucocorticoid, such as betamethasone, in a topical cream for the treatment of tinea corporis (ringworm), tinea cruris (jock itch) and tinea pedis (athlete’s foot).
3. The mix isn’t always great though…😶 Although temporary relief and partial suppression of symptoms may be observed with the combination therapy, glucocorticoids can elicit an immunosuppressive response and rebound effect that results in more severe infection typically requiring systemic antifungal agents to treat the disease.
4. Be careful using vaginal Clotrimazole 😳 Clotrimazole creams and suppositories contain oil which may weaken latex condoms and diaphragms.
5. There’s also an oral version of Clotrimazole 😯 Oral clotrimazole may be used to treat the sickling of cells (related to sickle cell anemia).
“Over a large number of years I have endured the cyclic breakouts of skin itch. I have been treated and prescribed by Doctors to no avail and have given up only to endure again many times. This stuff works. I think it is a topical vaginal cream, which I am without, so I use it on my feet and groin. It releaves the itch on contact, which by itself is a godsend, but when combined with a cortisoid type cream starts to reduce the affected skin areas within days. I am very hopeful it will eradicate this scourge once and for all. I have been treating with this for about 10 days now and will run out of this prescription on the 17th. Back to the doctor for an update and…Whats next. My outlook is very positive at this point. Can’t say thank you enough”
“My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Ring Worm. Her pediatrician prescribed her this medicine. It stopped the itch within minutes, and it started to fade in a short few days. My husband got Athletes Foot, so he used the cream and it was gone in 2 days. We make sure we always have a tube on hand. Highly recommended!”
I had reoccurring yeast infections due to pregnancy. I tried Monistat and it burned me so bad, went to the dr and they prescribed me terconazole twice which didn’t help either. So finally I bought this and my symptoms were relieved in one night. I couldn’t be happier!”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020