The need-to-know information for Ceftriaxone (Rocephin)Ceftriaxone
Some pearls and fun nuggets
1. Ceftriaxone penetrates deep 🎯 It penetrates tissues and body fluids well, including cerebrospinal fluid to treat central nervous system infections.
2. It kills what many others can’t 💪 Ceftriaxone and other third-generation antibiotics are used to treat organisms that tend to be resistant to many other antibiotics.
3. Don’t use it too much ✋Due to emergent resistance, ceftriaxone should not be used for the treatment of Enterobacter infections.
4. Ceftriaxone’s work hasn’t gone unnoticed 🏆During an “All-Star Fantasy Draft” of the top 5 antibiotics in modern medicine on Dr. Paul Sax’s podcast, Ceftriaxone was the one of the first ones to make the cut thanks to it’s wide-spectrum of treatment capabilities.
“Second time posting hoping it might help someone. Had symptoms of UTI on Friday. Not happy all weekend. Got into doctor this morning and had shot. I still hate getting two shots in my bottom but my doctor also insists on giving me a B12 shot when I see him because I am slightly anemic. I am not sure if it is because I am skinny but Rocephin burns like heck and I am almost in tears getting it. Maybe I am just a wimp but I don’t like needles getting stuck in me and Rocephin is the worst! It it is now around 3:00 and I have no symptoms. It works and even though I dreaded the shot all weekend I am glad I got it.”
“Day two of this very strong antibiotic and I think I’m out of all farts left to give, is it a fart or more severe diarrhea from this pill? I wander yet again helplessly into the bathroom. Unaware that I evidently eaten something disgusting at some point, as I see it evacuates from my now flaming hot butt. Flushing the toilet provides no relief from the horrid antibiotic gut stench and splash back creates a new horror of germs taking residence on my butt cheeks. I’m left wondering when I had time to eat a pile of something so disgusting as the smell indicates? I don’t know. Pray for my bum. It hurts. 5 more days to go. On a positive note: the UTI is absolutely better! I took the first antibiotic at 11:30am and I stopped burning/urgent urinating by 4pm. Very effective for UTI.”
“‘Came down with what seemed like a bad bout of influenza on a Friday night. Absent from work Monday, and Tuesday. Wednesday and my cough is dry, chest heavy, gurgling sound in my chest. I thought it was wheezing, but that sound didn’t go away even after inhalers. I regret returning to work on Wednesday, but I’ve used up my sick time. Doctor gave me Rocephin on Thursday morning. By Thursday evening, I’m feeling good enough to be bored and wanting to return to work! The creators of this medicine deserve Nobel Prize!”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020