The need-to-know information for OmeprazoleOmeprazole
Pearls and Fun Nuggets
1. It comes in many strengths and forms 💊 Omeprazole is available in strengths of 10, 20, 40, and in some markets 80 mg; and as a powder (omeprazole sodium) for intravenous injection.
2. Bad for B12?😐 Concern has been expressed regarding vitamin B12 and iron malabsorption, but effects seem to be insignificant, especially when supplement therapy is provided.
3. It takes a while for your stomach to readjust after stopping ⏳ When omeprazole is stopped, baseline stomach acid secretory activity returns after 3 to 5 days.
“I had a huge mental breakdown 3 months ago and severe stomach problems followed, lost 20 pounds. Couldn’t eat anything, even water upset my stomach. My throat was gurgling constantly and I was getting worried with how many tums I was taking just to be able to live my life. Maybe an ulcer, maybe stress, who knows, but omeprazole sure did help. Everyone’s stomach’s are different and react differently, but for me this was a life saver.”
“Oh my God this is the worst medicine ever gave me really bad anxiety the worst headache ever I feel so shaky it’s ridiculous I just want this feeling to go away”
“I was just prescribed Omeprazole this week. The first day I took it I thought it was magic. Suddenly my terrible, nightly heartburn was completely gone. Unfortunately, the side effects are numerous, immediate, and simply not worth it!
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020