This is the need-to-know information for Naloxone (Narcan)Naloxone
Pearls and Fun Nuggets
1. You may need to use more than one dose 💉 The effects of naloxone last about half an hour to an hour. Multiple doses may be required, as the duration of action of most opioids is greater than that of naloxone.
2. It’s extremely effective 👌From the period of 1996 to 2014, the CDC estimates over 26,000 cases of opioid overdose have been reversed using the kits.
3. Naloxone is cheap…sort of 😒 Vials of naloxone are not very expensive (less than $25) in the United States. However, the price for a package of two auto-injectors in the US has increased from $690 in 2014 to $4,500 in 2016.
4. It works…every time 😬 In contrast to direct opiate agonists, which elicit opiate withdrawal symptoms when discontinued in opiate-tolerant people, no evidence indicates the development of tolerance or dependence on naloxone.
“My parents administered Narcan nasal to me after finding me with pinpoint pupils and non coherent . I had snorted what I thought was a 30 mg OxyContin , I bought off the streets. But it was fentanyl. I am writing this today cause Narcan saved my life!!! Thank you for this miracle drug…”
“It has saved my life 3 times in the ER. If it would have not been for this medicine I would have died a junky and would not of had the chance to change my life for the better. Thank you for this medicine.”
“This works. Too Well. the hospital I was at overdosed me on opiates one night while going through multiple kidney failure. The Narcan injection they gave me to spring me back was the most painful experience I have ever had. I hope not a soul on earth has to go through that. ever. So this product did what it needed to do. Saved my life from an opiate overdose. So it was very effective. painful but effective.”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020