The need-to-know information for Fexofenadine (Allegra)Fexofenadine
Pearls and Fun Nuggets
1. Fexofenadine doesn’t make you sleepy 😴 It is classified as a second-generation antihistamine because it is less able to pass the blood–brain barrier and cause sedation, compared to first-generation antihistamines.
2. The safety profile of fexofenadine is quite favorable 😁 No cardiovascular or sedative effects have been shown to occur even when taking 10 times the recommended dose. Research on humans ranges from a single 800 mg dose, to a twice-daily 690 mg dose for a month, with no clinically significant adverse effects, when compared to a placebo. No deaths occurred in testing on mice, at 5000 mg/kg body weight, which is one-hundred ten times (110x) the maximum recommended dose for an adult human.
3. Fexofenadine originated from it’s parent, terfenadine 👬 The older antihistaminic agent terfenadine was found to metabolize into the related carboxylic acid, fexofenadine. Fexofenadine was found to retain all of the biological activity of its parent while giving fewer adverse reactions in patients, so terfenadine was replaced in the market by its metabolite.
4. Fexofenadine goes by a TON of brand names 📜 including: Agimfast, Alafree, Alanil, Alercas, Alerfedine, Alerix, Alertam, Alexia, Allegix, Allegra, Allegratab, Allemax, Allerfast, Allerfen, Allerfexo, Allergo, Allergyna, Allerphast, Alrin, Alterfast, Altifex, Altiva, Aspen, Axodin, Axofen, BiXin, Bosnum, Dinafex, Ewofex, Fastel, Fastofen, Fastway, Fe Min, Feksine, Fenadex, Fenadin, Fenafex, Fenax, Fenofex, Fentradol, Fesler, Fexadyne, Fexal, Fexalar, Fexaway, Fexet, Fexgen, Fexidine, Fexigra, Fexine, Fexo, Fexodane, Fexodine, Fexodis, Fexofast, Fexofen, Fexofenaderm, Fexofenadin, Fexofenadina, Fexofenadine, Fexofénadine, Fexofep, Fexofin, Fexogen, Fexomin, Fexon, Fexona, Fexonadinea, Fexoquit, Fexoral, Fexoril, Fexostad, Fexotine, Fexovid, Fixal, Fixit, Fixodin, Flexofen, Foxin, Fynadin, Glodas, Hasalfast, Histafree, Imexofen, Kofixir, Lai Duo Fei, Mayfex, Min Jie, Nefoxef, Neofex, Nolargy, Nosedex, Odafen, Oregra, Radifex, Raltiva, Rapido, Rhinogan, Ridrinal, Rinofen, Rinolast, Ritch, Rui Fei, Sailexi, Tefodine, Telfadin, Telfast, Telfastin, Telfexo, Tellerge, Terfemax, Ternafast, Tocimat, Tofexo, Torfast, Vifas, Vifasesh, X-Dine, Xergic, and Zefeksal.
“My sister in law whom is a M.D, recommended me Allegra daily for my urticaria. I was hesitant at first for the fact that I didn’t want to begin my day taking pills. I guess I was waiting for my hives to clear on their own which till this day I still struggle. Allegra, is my savior I take 1 every morning to relieve my itchiness and welts, they help me very much.”
“The worst allergy medicine ever! I’ve taken Benadryl in the past, and it works, however I didn’t want to be drowsy, so I thought I try Allegra. Nothing ever happened, very dissatisfied!”
“I have eczema which cause awful flare ups on my hands and caused my skin to get dark . All the topical steroids I applied did not help heal the skin neither did it change the color. However with one allegra a day my skin instantly looked and felt better. Also, it always cures any respiratory allergies as well. I truly recommend this medicine.”
- Why every medic should love Deployed Medicine - November 8, 2020
- 3 Areas Where Medics Fall Short - November 7, 2020